Here at River & Green we like to practice what we preach which means that, depending on the season, there’s a lot of fish and game on the dinner table. Sometimes however, even we run out of ideas, so here’s a delicious and easy salmon en croute recipe courtesy of our friends at Colstoun Cookery School :
Salmon en Croute
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper or 280g roasted mixed peppers in oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 150g spinach washed & coarsely shredded
- 375g ready-rolled all butter puff pastry
- 2 x 175g Salmon fillet, skinned
- 1 egg, beaten
- Watercress to garnish (optional)
For the Sauce:
- 150ml double cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- Heat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
- Slice the peppers and toss in olive oil and roast for 20 minutes until soft, and allow to cool. If using peppers from a jar, drain and cut into thick strips.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the spinach and cook quickly until wilted, season and leave to cool, then squeeze out excess moisture.
- Heat a large baking tray in the oven.
- Roll out half the pastry really thinly, (about a pound coin width) to a little larger size than the salmon fillet. Place 1 fillet skinned- side down, onto the centre of the pastry, season and arrange the peppers and spinach on top. Season the second side of salmon and place on top so that it mirrors the one underneath. Brush the edge of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Roll out the remaining pastry really thinly so that it is slightly larger than the bottom layer of pastry. Carefully lift over the salmon, trim off any excess and seal the edges.
- Re-roll the remaining pastry trimmings thinly and cut out pastry stars from the trimmings. Brush the pastry with beaten egg, decorate with the stars, then brush the stars with the egg.
- Using 2 fish slices, carefully lift onto the preheated baking tray on the non-stick paper, and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes while you make the sauce.
- For the sauce, heat the cream, and the lemon juice and pesto, and season. Add the basil just before serving.
- Serve the salmon in slices with the sauce and garnish with watercress, if you like.